Oriental Rug Cleaning Tips
Oriental rugs are preferred by many as they add a splash of color, elegance, and unique style to the design of a home. The style originates in countries like Iran, India, and China, and they are currently found in tens of thousands of homes around the globe. Since they come in an impressively large number of shapes and sizes, colors and textures, they can fulfill the needs of even the most pretentious of buyers. They can be made of wool, cotton, silk, and even synthetic materials. No matter what you might choose, you are prone to bring your home to life.
Nevertheless, like most rugs and carpets, oriental rugs will also eventually get dirty, suffer damages caused by pets, moths, or spills, and require cleaning and maintenance. However, with the help of the right cleaning techniques, you can keep your gorgeous rugs looking clean, fresh and vivid for a longer time. Here are a few of the most efficient oriental rug cleaning methods you could try on your own so you do not have to invest in new and expensive rugs anytime soon.
Use The Instructions On The Label
- Read the label on the oriental rug and pay attention to the cleaning instructions on it. Lift the corners of your rug so you can reveal the label and pay attention to silk, wool, and cotton rugs, as they may have special cleaning instructions and require a certain degree of finesse when cleaning. Oriental rugs made of cotton and wool are usually sturdier and easier to clean.
- Silk oriental rugs on the other hand should be cleaned by professional NYC rug cleaners as they are more sensitive.
Do You Have A Colorfast Oriental Rug?
- Do a test and find out if your carpet is colorfast. This means it will not bleed when wet. The label should read “dry clean only” for rugs that are not colorfast. However, the lack of this information on the label does not necessarily mean your rug is colorfast. You should have it tested by saturating a small corner of the carpet using room temperature water. Next, press on it using a white cloth. If you notice any traces of dye on the oriental rug, chances are the entire carpet will “bleed” if you will try to clean it yourself.
- If this is your case, consider doing some light cleaning that will not get your rug wet. Do not use chemical cleaners or you might risk completely ruining your carpet. You are highly advised to use professional carpet cleaners for carpets and rugs that are not colorfast. The NYC Steam Cleaning team specializes in all types of carpets, including oriental rugs. We provide our clients with a fully comprehensive list of carpet cleaning services, Persian rugs included.
- We rely on advanced, all-natural and harmless cleaning products that will help you get rid of dirt, dust, and the dreaded mites. We offer affordable soil and stain protection services, dry cleaning, allergy treatment, pet urine treatment, as well as moth and pet treatment, according to the client’s custom needs. We can help you breathe new life into your oriental rugs. All you need to do is pick up the phone and call 1-888-245-1199 today.
Vacuum Your Oriental Rug At Least Once A Week
- This should help lift recent debris and dirt and preserve its fresh and clean look and smell. Regular vacuuming can also stop the wool fibers from becoming packed down.
- Keep the vacuum cleaner away from antique or silk oriental rugs, as you will risk damaging them.
- Do not vacuum the fringes, but do try to vacuum both sides of the rug.
Pay Attention To Direct Sunlight!
Keep the rugs out of direct sunlight as they are more prone to sun damage. The colors will fade away faster. If you cannot find an alternative location for your Persian rugs, try to at least rotate them once every few weeks to have the colors fade evenly.
Immediately Attend Spills
Spot clean the rig as soon as you notice a new spill on it. If they dry off, it will be a lot more difficult to get the stain and smell out. Blot up the liquid using a paper towel or a clean rag. Then you need to dampen a rag and use cold water to blot the stain again. Avoid rubbing back and forth as you could rub the stain deeper into the rug. If you have old stains you cannot get out on your own, or you do not have the time or skill to clean your oriental rug on your own, let some pros handle it.
What Can We Do For You?
The NYC Steam Cleaning team can assist you with quick or deep oriental rug cleaning. If you do not have the time to vacuum both sides of your rug, sweep it clean or spray it with cold water using a garden hose, we can offer professional alternatives that will not require you to lift a single finger. We offer advanced steam cleaning for all types of rugs and we can help you get rid of nasty pet stains and odors, stubborn hair embedded in the fibers, and stains as old as your kids.
If your oriental rug has sentimental value, costs a lot, and is made of silk, it is best to have a professional rug cleaner handle it to avoid damage caused by harmful detergents and improper homemade cleaners. Get in touch with us today and let us take care of your precious oriental rugs in no time!