There is no universal answer to this question, since we are all so different and we have different living styles. But one thing is for sure: most of us enjoy having carpets at home. Why wouldn’t we? They make for excellent decoration options as they are colorful, bright, and add a touch of style and comfort. Given the large variety of carpets available today, there is a style, pattern, texture, color, size, and material suitable for even the most pretentious of tastes. Unfortunately, not all is fun and games when it comes to having nice carpeting. The downside comes from the fact carpets are not the easiest items to clean, and they also require often cleaning and maintenance. Luckily, there are a few types of carpets that tend to stay in better shape than others over the years. When choosing them, you will need to take into account the type of weave and fiber they are made from. Opting for a high quality carpet is, however, only the beginning.
How To Buy Good Quality Carpets?
- Do a density test. If you can easily see the backing when bending the fibers back, you are not looking at a good quality carpet.
- The higher the density of the fibers in your carpet, the more stain resistant it will be. High dense fibers can effectively repel dirt and stains.
- Opt for carpet made of nylon fibers as it is the most durable, as well as the simplest to clean. If you are tempted to buy polypropylene and polyester fiber carpets, you should know that these will not do an equally good job at concealing stains. Nevertheless, if you are on a tight budget, they will make for a good choice, as they are more affordable.
- Wool carpets can be cleaned easily since the wool has natural water repellent properties. It is also a type of fabric with smaller levels of static electricity, which should keep dirt away more easily. However, wool can get pricey, which is why you could opt for a mix of wool and synthetic fibers instead.
- Berber and similarly textured carpets are also prone to show less dirt. You are advised not to use patterned weave in high foot traffic areas as the dirt tends to collect in the low areas. You will have a more difficult time vacuuming it, so you might want to look into a different option.
Which Carpets Are The Easiest To Clean?
- Nylon carpets are the number one choice as they are highly durable and easy to clean and maintain. The pricing however might be a problem, especially if you want to place nylon carpets all over the house. A good alternative is represented by nylon frieze carpets, especially for households with young children and/or pets with a lot of foot traffic.
- Wool carpets are harder to stain thanks to their low static electricity that keeps dirt away. Their fibers do not get worn as easily as other carpets as they tend to bounce back up despite of being stepped on frequently. Also, wool carpets maintain their original color for a longer time and they have a long lifespan.
- Propylene carpets are the third choice if you are looking for carpets that are quick and easy to clean. While they might not bounce back as easily as wool carpets do, they are more affordable and relatively easy to clean and maintain. The material is found in 90% of carpets today. You can also opt for a mix of propylene and wool.
The Simplest Methods To Clean Your Carpets
- Vacuum regularly and using long and slow strokes. So do it as soon as you notice dirt settling in, as it will be a lot simpler to remove.
- Do not set the vacuum too low, or you will damage the carpet and be unable to pick up the dirt. Set the ideal height by raising the vacuum to its highest setting, turning it on and lowering it until you can feel it tugging itself forward.
- Try to stick to a strict vacuum schedule for the entrance and high-traffic areas. Vacuum at least twice a week and once a week for the rest of the carpeting. Frequent vacuuming will prevent soil buildup from accumulating.
- Leave your shoes at the door for better maintenance and less wear-and-tear or at least wipe them clean on the doormat before getting in.
- Immediately blot out any spots or spills with using a professional stain remover or a more natural alternative.
- You can rent or buy a steam cleaner for a thorough clean or stubborn stains, but keep in mind you might have to dig deep in your pocket.
Invest In Professional Carpet Cleaning Services
Services like the NYC Steam Cleaning will provide you with commercial grade, advanced cleaning equipment that will thoroughly and effectively wash your carpets in no time. We are known as one of the most experienced and reliable carpet cleaners in New York and we have been around for more than two decades. We use deep-down extraction methods to remove allergy-causing contaminants and dust mites that you might have a hard time getting rid of by yourself. We rely on our truck-mounted carpet cleaning system and can remove stubborn ground-in dirt and stains.
We also provide carpet repair, deodorizer, and stain-resistant protective coating services to make your carpets look plush and fresh for a long time. Get in touch with us today and let us take care of your carpets for you! We would love to do it!