Top 3 DIY Green Carpet Cleaning Tips
Living in a household together with small children who crawl on the floors all day long and furry, hair-shedding pets means you need to put in at least double the effort to keep your home clean and tidy. The struggle to keep carpets clean is real. And the battle is often times lost. Most people try to save as much money as they can on their carpet cleaning, since they need to concern themselves with it so often. So they try to avoid renting expensive carpet cleaner machines, buying costly shampooing products, or hiring specialized cleaning services.
Nevertheless, when dealing with gross carpets that have not been thoroughly cleaned in ages, the hands of a local professional steam carpet cleaner will work wonders. And they are, at times, your last resort. If you are currently looking for specialized carpet cleaners in the New York area, get in touch with the NYC Steam Cleaners at 1-888-245-1199 or send us a form online and let us get in touch with you for a free estimate today.
If this is not an emergency and you are looking for simpler ways of cleaning your carpets on your own, you may want to look into our DIY tips below. Because we know lots of people are now embracing the eco-friendly trend, we thought it might be useful to provide you with a few green carpet methods that should save you money and protect your health and well-being.
Tip #1: Use Natural Ingredients From The Pantry
- You can create your own natural solution you can clean your carpets with in just a few minutes. Just make sure you have some vinegar and a few drops of essential oils in the house.
- If you live in a household with children and/or pets, you should definitely consider this recipe. It is non-toxic, which means it will not trigger any allergies, asthma attacks, or other respiratory problems. This cleaning solution also protects the eyes and the skin.
- You will need half part vinegar and half part water, plus your favorite essential oils – not more than 5 drops. Add this mix to a carpet cleaner machine and clean your carpets. Expect a powerful vinegar scent – the smell will be gone soon after the carpets are dry.
- Vinegar is also used to get rid of foul smells and odors, so you may be in fact killing two birds with one stone. Your carpets will be looking fresh and clean, as vinegar is also known to bring old, fading colors to life.
- You can also get rid of stubborn carpet stains with this mix, and use it on coaches and car interiors as well. Need we mention the fact that vinegar is one of the cheapest items you have in your cupboards?
Tip #2: Use Aromatherapy For Your Carpets
- If you love the smell of rose, lemon, or lavender oils in your aromatherapy diffuser, why not have your carpets smelling the same way? All you need to do is mix half a cup of baking soda and ten drops of your favorite essential oil. Sprinkle the powder on your carpets and leave it on for 30 minutes to an hour for excellent deodorizing results. Vacuum the carpets when the time is up.
- Peppermint oil will offer that refreshing effect, but it will also make your mind a lot more alert. The plant is a genuine energy and mood booster; it can also fight against irritation, and alleviate congestion and digestion.
- Rose oil fights against anxiety and depression, while promoting good blood circulation. It can also lower the number of asthma attacks, if you or someone else living in your home are suffering from this condition.
- Eucalyptus oil can help you fights against a number of respiratory problems. So if your main concern is that the chemicals in your regular carpet deodorizers will harm your health and trigger more breathing problems, you can rely on the all-natural effects of eucalyptus oil in combination with baking soda. Plus, this essential oil is also known to fight migraines and have excellent cooling properties.
- Lavender oil is an excellent stress reliever; it is also known to fight against colds and migraine.
Tip #3: Hire Green Carpet Cleaning Experts
- When you do not have the time or energy to create your own carpet cleaning powders or shampoos at home, you can search for a professional carpet cleaner in town.
- Focus on services that provide green cleaning services, like NYC Steam Cleaning. They solely rely on purely organic and chemical-free cleaning supplies. Their steam cleaning technology is one of the best you will find right now. They only use cleaning products that are asthma and allergy friendly. They have received certification from the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America and the Allergy Standards Limited program that assesses and identifies consumer products that are safe for asthma patients and those suffering from allergies.
Their specialists have received training in IICRC-approved cleaning methods. They charge some of the most affordable rates in the New York area and their estimates are free. Give them a call today and schedule a deep carpet cleaning session!